Re: [TR] TR3 Throw-Out bearing

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 Throw-Out bearing
From: Geo Hahn <ahwahnee@cybertrails.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 13:26:52 -0700
Ed Oot wrote:

>I need a TR3 TO bearing. TRF lists for about $60. Moss lists for $23. Why the
>difference? Recommendations?

You my find that the TRF TOB comes with the sleeve included and already
pressed in.  If so, this will save you a few bucks at the machine shop
and possibly save your TOB being ruined by incorrect pressing (I have
heard that the bearing must be rotated whilst pressing... no idea if
this is fact or myth).

I got a new TOB from my local Moss distributor last February.  When I
had the TR4 gearbox out in November to install an OD I found that
bearing (I think the brand was Green?, Made in USA) was very sloppy
having lost it's grease and ready to fall apart after 5000 miles.  A
follow-up with Moss indicated they no longer carried bearings from that
supplier so my Moss resaler probably had some old stuff on the shelf.
 In the end I went back to using the original Made in England bearing
that the car left Coventry with.

And yes, the slave pushrod was correctly adjusted with the float
required in the manual.

Geo

===     http://www.vtr.org