[TR] 90wt. oil in steering rack?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] 90wt. oil in steering rack?
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 21:33:11 EST
Owners of rack & pinions!
Do you use grease or gear oil? The '60's TR4/4A Factory Manual states '5
pumps of grease' - but now I see in TRF's blurb below re TR6s - to use gear
oil!
PLUS now I see that BMC manuals state gear oil for their '70's MG Midget's
steering rack & pinion..
Seems weird to have boots full of gear oil (sagging from added weight).
And yet, grease does seem less effective if it gets squished out of the gear
mesh - never to return..
Any concensus? If gear oil is best - how much should I put in? Half full
boots Ok?
Regards,
Carl
'63 TR4 since '74

>>"The reason for hose clamps on rack boots is that steering racks are
supposed to be lubricated with #90 gear oil, not with multi-purpose grease.
Gear oil
sloshes around inside and lubricates the entire steering rack and pinion
mechanism.
Grease stays in one place and lubricates only a few inches of the rack. That
is the
reason that you should replace torn or perished rack bellows before the oil
leaks out..." a TRF TR6 internet sales page<<

===     http://www.vtr.org