Re: [TR] crack propagation

To: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [TR] crack propagation
From: "Eureka Saws Co, Inc." <ambritts@ptdprolog.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 19:06:20 -0500
I been following this post with interest. In my business (saw blade
manufacturing and repair) this is a very common solution to stop cracks from
getting bigger and saving a very expensive saw blade. Of course the
direction of the crack has a great deal with whether or not it can be fixed.
The crack should be straight and not curve back toward the edge. The drilled
hole does not need to be very big, just bigger than the crack. I should note
that cracks that have a significant opening cannot generally be repaired
with this method. Further, cracks with significant length pose an altogether
different problem. It is generally reserved for hairline cracks under 2-3"
in length. If you plan on sealing the drilled hole, countersinking both
sides of the hole will aid in keeping whatever plug type you use in. A good
plug to use would be copper plugs similar to that in a saw blade. Insert and
hammer both sides lightly to flatten out and fill the countersink. It takes
the form of an hourglass and will not come out very easily.
Alex Manzo