[TR] Re: Need method for welding floorpans

To: dorpaul@negia.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Re: Need method for welding floorpans
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 21:39:17 EST
In a message dated 1/9/2007 7:36:28 PM Central Standard Time,
dorpaul@negia.net writes:
> Dave,
> How about securing the floorpan with 4-6 good size bolts, then using
> structural adhesives/seam sealer for the remaining joinage?  This would
>aliviate
> need for welding the floorpan which everyone seems to detest for some reason.
> guess the welding is more prone to rust, right?

I think you would be better off using more smaller fasteners.  That will
distribute the loading over a wider area.  Too few attachment points and the
sheet
metal will be more likely to tear.  Either in an accedent or just due to
stress and vibration.

I don't know enough about the adhesive to recommend it.  I don't know how the
factory preps the surfaces.  I'm sure they are clean and paint free but for
all I know they may acid etch them for enhanced adhesion.  For now all I can
advocate is to use the adhesive as an adjunct to normal practices.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org