[TR] Long term experince w/ Chevy valve stem seals?

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Long term experince w/ Chevy valve stem seals?
From: aribert <aribert@c3net.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2007 22:14:42 -0500
About 5 or 6 years ago on this list there was a fair amount of
discussion to retrofitting bronze valve guides to be able to use Chevy
small block valve stem seals on the TR6 engine.  Any one out there with
do so (and have say a minimum of 25,000 to 30,000 miles on the engine)?
If so is it worth the trouble?

I have about 60,000 miles on my engine with a recently blown head
gasket.  I'm about to pull the head.  Once the head is off, I'll check
the clearances in the guides.  Assuming that the guide bore diameters
are in spec, it would be easy for me to machine grooves in the guides to
suit the stem seals (I have both a lathe and a press for removing the
guides).

My engine oil consumption was not too bad prior to the head gasket
failure - about 1400 to 1700 miles per quart of oil.  No visible smoke.
It is not like I need to do this but if it will reduce my current oil
consumption a bit and/or reduce/delay future increases in oil
consumption (or delay the onset of that light blue puff), I would
consider doing this.

===     http://www.vtr.org