Re: [TR] TR3 Instrument Panel

To: tr3driver@ca.rr.com
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 Instrument Panel
From: TRDOCTOR@aol.com
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 14:48:09 EST
In a message dated 12/30/2006 1:04:04 P.M. Central Standard Time,
tr3driver@ca.rr.com writes:

>  When I took the switches out to powder coat the panel  itself I  made
> a drawing
> of the locations of the switches.  They  were, from  top to bottom, Panel,
> Wiper, Side/Head, and  Key.  Some of the drawings I  have looked at
> show that  it
> should be:  Wiper, Panel, Side/Head, and  Key.   Which is correct?

It's different depending on whether your car is  equipped with a dimmer for
the
panel lights or not.  Cars with a  switch instead of a dimmer had the dash
light
switch in the top  position.  Note that the panel itself is also different, as
the dimmer  takes a bigger hole than the switch.  So, if your panel has the
same
size hole in the top two locations, it's likely your car originally  had a
switch
and therefore it goes in the top hole.  If the second  hole is noticeably
larger,
then it was originally equipped with a dimmer in  the second hole, and the
wiper
switch goes at the top.

BTW, the  dimmer also takes a different knob, with the little arrows on it.

My  cars have all had switches, and I've never felt the lack of a dimmer.
The
switch implements 'dim' and 'off' just fine, I've never felt the need  for
'flicker' <G>

(However, that said, I do on rare occasions  use the switch, like country
roads
on a moonless  night.)

Randall

That must be the case, Randall.  As I said, I made a sketch when I  took it
apart, but, you know how DPO's can be. . .   Now, about the  location of the
gauges. . .

Sam and Carol Clark
Green Country Triumphs
TS45355L  O