[TR] SU Carbs

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] SU Carbs
From: DLylis@aol.com
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 08:00:29 EST
My 3A is my first experience of any depth with SU carbs.  I have been  having
idle problems although the car runs fine at speed.  I have done the  usual,
but when I pulled out the jets to replace the seals I found perished O  rings
and the replacements provided are cork.  What is the conventional  wisdom here.
 When I shut off the car I would get a small drip of fuel that  ran down the
jet between the "keeper" and the jet, and so I assume that when  running if
the upper seal was as bad the fuel would also feed into the carb in  addition
what was being fed by the needle and jet.
Also, I get play at the throttle shaft on both but when I use the old carb
cleaner trick I get no change.  I am assuming that any leak at the shaft is
not significant enough to bother with.  From what I can see, and I have not
had
the shafts out, the SUs do not have the rubber shaft seal that is used in
the Z-S.

David  Lylis
69 TR6 CC26160L
60 TR3A TS74461LO