Re: [TR] TR6 stumbling at low rpm

To: emanteno@comcast.net, Aledotr6@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] TR6 stumbling at low rpm
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 12:43:02 EST
In a message dated 12/21/2006 9:24:53 AM Central Standard Time,
emanteno@comcast.net writes:
> >The only problem I am still having
> >is accelerating form a standing start or cruising at a low rpm (like in the
>
> >neigborhood). As I ease off the clutch and apply the accelerator, the car
> will
> >stumble. It has never completely stalled and died. As I slowly accelerate,
> it
> >will continue to stumble or miss, until it hits about 2000 rpm, then it
> will
> >take off like it should.
> Is your engine stock with all emissions equipment in place? What is your
> timing set at? I think stock timing is 4 degrees ATDC, at least it was on my
>74.
> When my TR6 was new, it almost always stumbled when pulling away from a
> stop. Very annoying. However, that year the car had a mechanism that would
> advance the timing a little bit whenever the engine temperature rose to a
>certain
> level. In my case, whenever the engine got hot, the timing would advance, and
> then car would run fine without stumbling. I used that as my excuse to
> advance the timing some, and that cured the stumble in my car. If you are at
>4
> degrees after, push it up to 4 degrees before and see how it runs.

There is an error in the manual.  The manual says to set the timing to 4 deg
ATDC with the vacuum retard disconnected where it should be set to 4 ATDC with
it CONNECTED.  This will give you about 2 to 4 deg's BTDC without the module.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org