Re: [TR] wheel bearing question

To: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@rcn.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: [TR] wheel bearing question
From: "Tim Hutchisen" <hakhutch@adelphia.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 20:33:14 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@rcn.com>
To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>; <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2006 7:37 PM
Subject: [TR] wheel bearing question

> Anyway, my question is whether failure of the inner bearing might
> typically result in this kind of freeplay?  Or conversely whether
> this kind of freeplay is usually associated with inner bearing
> failure.  >

Jim-
    An inner wheel bearing failure could cause excessive endplay. Looseness
in the tire/wheel assembly could be one of the following:
    -excessive play in the upper ball joint
    -excessive play in the trunnion
    -excessive play in the outer (or inner tie rod)
    -excessive play in the upper or lower control arm bushings
    -excessive play in the wheel bearing itself.
    - loose lug nuts

One way to feel for wheel bearing play is to:
    1.) place the jack under the lower control arm out near (and not under)
the trunnion and lift the car.
    2.) grab the tire with one hand at 12:00 (top) and the other at 6:00
(bottom)
    3.) try to rock the tire back and forth.
            A tiny bit of play is normal (end play of .005" +/-), any more
than that is too much.
    4.) repeat #1 through #3 with hands at 3:00 and 9:00
            Play will be the same as the first wiggle test (12 & 6) if the
wheel bearing has excessive endplay.

If it does not feel like the same amount of play, then suspect a different
suspension component failure. Another set of eyes (or hands) and good
lighting is important (especially for us "mature" Triumph owners with
bi-focals). It doesn't hurt to put your hands on the various components as a
friend wiggles the tire. Even though you may not see a faulty component, you
may feel one.

Wheel bearing failure is not always easy to diagnose, I have had wheel
bearing growl that I could have sworn was on the right front, be in the rear
of the vehicle (especially in minivans). The growl can transfer and sound as
though it's source is somewhere else on the vehicle.

My recommendation is if you replace the wheel bearing, replace both sides
and don't forget a new oil seal!

Good luck-
Tim Hutchisen
71 TR6