RE: [TR] TR3 too flexible?

To: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>,
Subject: RE: [TR] TR3 too flexible?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 18:32:11 -0700
> In the most recent issue of Classic Motorsports magazine, it citied
> the TR3's flexibilty of it's chassis as being undesirable.
> What are they talking about?  How can this be felt in it's driving?

With the stock suspension and tires, and especially driving 'normally', I doubt
you'll ever notice it.  But the frame does twist under heavy loads, like hard
cornering on the track with uprated tires & suspension.  Lots of articles have
been written on how to stiffen it, including the original factory "Competition
Preparation" manual.

> Is this what the TR4 IRS overcomes?

I wouldn't put it that way, no.  But the frame flexibility does tend to be less
noticeable, because the suspension is so much softer.

BTW, IRS was not available until the TR4A.  Although originally intended to be
the standard configuration, IRS was advertised as an option in the USA.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org