RE: [TR] 1947 Triumph

To: <a901949@aol.com>, <Triumphs-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] 1947 Triumph
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 09:00:54 -0700
> Question for anybody in Triumphland. I am having my speedometer
> rebuilt and need to calibrate it. The car has a 59 TR3 motor and
> transmission, has 16" wheels. Can anybody help with this problem?

While I agree that Tony's speedo repair article is very good; if you are
contemplating a change in speedo calibration, the easiest and best method IMO is
to get a "ratio adapter" made up to suit your circumstances.  As you can see by
reading Tony's article, it's a difficult matter to change the calibration (as
opposed to restoring the original calibration).

It's been a few years ago, but I was quoted $100 by a local speedo shop to have
any ratio I wanted.  Subsequent changes can be made by just swapping out gears
in the box, so only cost $40.

All of the rebuilders I talked to refused to change the calibration.  They would
only restore "as original".

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org