[TR] Exhaust Manifold vs SS Headers

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Exhaust Manifold vs SS Headers
From: "Doug" <dougfr@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 11:08:07 -0700
I am currently going through a frame-up on my '69 TR6.  This includes
balancing, porting, camshaft upgrade, & compression to about 9.6:1.  Staying
with stock ZS carbs but working through an upgrade of the distributor.  Memory
has it that my stock exhaust is a cast iron to a single exhaust system.

On talking to the people overhauling the engine, they said I should either
upgrade the exhaust manifold to the twin-pipe exhaust used on later year TR6's
or go to a S/S exhaust header.  The negative on the S/S exhaust header is that
about every 20K miles I will need to replace the exhaust manifold gasket.
They say that this is due to the different metals - cast iron for the block
and head vs. S/S for the header.  They expand and contract at different rates
and therefore create problems for the exhaust gasket.

Any thoughts or recommendations on this?  I have to replace the single (Stock)
manifold anyway due to a crack in its flange.

Doug Fraser
69 TR6
Sammamish, WA

===     http://www.vtr.org