[TR] 3B Head

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] 3B Head
From: TR250Driver@aol.com
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 09:13:49 EDT
Guys,
It was kind of interesting to look into the heart of the 3B motor.  #1 piston
was a whole lot cleaner the rest and actually a little shiny on top.  The
rest were all carboned up.  The cylinder walls look fine.  The head itself
looked
OK but #1 exhaust valve could be rocked back and forth a lot by grabbing the
spring which could be spun around too.  The rest varied in degree of movement.
 I am going to say that the valve guides are worn and that may be the source
of the compression problem. Certainly in #1. Probably going on for a while
now.

I wondered why the dang thing was so hard to tune. I recall adjusting the
valves one time and going back 10 miles later only to find they had all
changed.
It is amazing that it ran as well as it did.  This may explain why the oil
turned black after a few hundred miles?  I am actually happy that it finally
went south enough so I know what to fix.

I am hoping the Head can be rebuilt, but this will be the second time.  It
must have been poorly done the first time since that was only less than 20,000
miles ago. That is what threw me a curve and I did not suspect a problem with
the head. I am told that rebuildable Heads for our TRactor motors are becoming
harder and harder to find.  Another 3B head would most likely be in the
unobtainium category.

Fingers Crossed,
Darrell

===     http://www.vtr.org