Re: [TR] Tire Speed

To: "pethier@isd.net" <pethier@isd.net>,
Subject: Re: [TR] Tire Speed
From: Cameron Rooke <beaker211@rogers.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 15:11:19 -0500 (EST)
Hate to be picky, especially when the information doesn't really matter anyway,
but the tire at the top would be going faster than 110mph relative to the
ground if you consider compression of the tire. That is, the distance from the
centre of the wheel to the ground is less than the centre of the wheel to the
top of the tire and therefore the uncompressed portion of the tire at the top
would have to be travelling faster.

But as I said, it doesn't really matter.

Cameron
'71 GT6

"pethier@isd.net" <pethier@isd.net> wrote: >

> the portion of the tire at the very
> top was  traveling 110mph

True.

> and the portion of the tire at
> the very bottom was  traveling 0mph.

True.

All of the above are considering the earth as the frame of
reference.  I can't imagine what the practical value would
be in knowing this.  I'm not a engineering student, so when
your prof comes to this part, maybe you can explain it to
us.

===     http://www.vtr.org