Re: [TR] TR3A Rear brake freshening

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3A Rear brake freshening
From: "Terry Smith" <terryrs@adelphia.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 19:15:14 -0500
>When I pulled the drums, I was presented with quite a layer of oil and gunk
>on all the internals. The shoes don't look too >bad, will a good soaking in
>degreaser and brake cleaner get the oil out of them? Should I invest in new
>shoes, or just work >with what I have? And, while on the parking brake, I
>noticed the mechanism only moves a fraction of an inch when fully >drawn
>in. There is a small amount of travel in the "swivel connector" that
>controls both brake before the mechanism moves. > Richard

Richard,

I've had this happen on various cars too, and it's best to investigate what
caused the oil to leak in there in the first place before just cleaning and
reassembling.  My guess would be that the oil seal that keeps out the
differential/axle oil is bad.  I'd plan on an overhaul that includes R&R'ing
the axle seals and cleaning the drums with brakecleaner.  While some may
advise to clean and keep the shoes, IMO they should be replaced...anybody
who's ever braked hard to keep from hitting a kid chasing a baseball into
the street might agree, at least from a peace-of-mind perspective.

While in there, I'd also disconnect the cables from the swivel connector to
test for freedom of movement and lubrication.  Then reinstall and adjust the
cables.

Have fun!
Terry Smith, '59 TR3A
New Hampshire