Re: [TR] TR6 steel wheels

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] TR6 steel wheels
From: ZinkZ10C@aol.com
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 20:14:01 EST
In a message dated 3/16/06 4:07:55 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Bob.Westerdale@ametek.com writes:

<<    Of course you lose maximum tire life,  but I was ready to throw the
buggers
 out anyway.  >>

Actually no tire life is lost and there is probably a slight gain.  The tire
will wear more rapidly just past the high spot and continue to be out of round.

<<Next, he dragged out an old stroboscope and a vibration
 pickup that he magnetically coupled to the suspension. >>

<<I'm struggling to remember the name of the Co. that made this stroboscopic
 balancer.... ( I  believe there are several , though)  it wasn't Coates,
 Hunter, uh.....  it might have been Alemite,,,, perhaps.....
         So the final word is make sure the tire is round before you bother
 trying to balance it.....

 Soap Box safely stowed..

 Bob Westerdale
 59 3A  TS36967  >>

John Bean, Bear, Hunter and FMC are alignment/balancer makers.   Coats mostly
a tire changer company but does sell off car balancers.  Alemite is mostly a
fluid/grease pumping company.

I have a John Bean strobe and vibration sensor, the concept is simple.   A
normal Disco strobe has the trigger attached to a conversion circuit that fires
each time the vibration sensor moves.  The vibration sensor is a coil of wire
with a moving core to send a pulse to the conversion circuit.

Pretty simple stuff.   You probably could make one at home and I'd bet there
is a circuit on the net somewhere.

Harold

===     http://www.vtr.org