[TR] TR3A Manifold removal

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] TR3A Manifold removal
From: Triumph TR2 <triumphtr2@direcway.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 17:14:10 -0500
  After a long hiatus, I'm beginning to work on the 3A. In a typical case of
shipwright's disease, a drip from the carb has lead to removal of the intake
and carbs for refurb/rebuilding.  While laid up with the carbs are being done,
wire wheels are off to be trued up and refinished.

  Carbs came off without incident, but never having removed an intake manifold,
I have a few questions...

  1) is it better to remove the intake manifold first and deal with the exhaust
and manifold gasket later, or remove the manifolds together and separate them
on the bench? Right now, all nuts / clamps have been removed and the studs
which interconnect the manifolds are missing, but the intake is still solidly
in place - which leads to...

  2) the manifolds seem pretty solidly adhered to the block, and don't budge
when pried or persuaded with a wooden mallet - how do I best separate them from
the block without doing any damage i.e. how much force is safe, and where
should it be applied?

  3) I'm sure there are archived discussions about coating or painting exhaust
manifolds, but I'm not having any success finding them at the moment - what
kind of prep should I do, and is there a recommended high temp paint to use?

  Thanks!

  Cameron Joyce
  59 TR3A
Checked by AVG Free Edition.