Re: TIG Welder

To: Shop-Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TIG Welder
From: "David C." <cavanadd@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 22:48:41 -0800
At 09:00 PM 3/9/2006 -0800, Roland Wilhelmy wrote:
>If I were to get a TIG welder, could I get
>::rid of my MIG welder, or are there some jobs
>::the MIG could do but a TIG couldn't?
>::

And here's another related (sort of) question- after getting their MIG,
does anyone use their stick welder any more?

in addition to the Lincoln MIG I have two stick welders.  One is a big
AC/DC Hobart generator/welder I haven't used as a welder in years (but I
use to run my house a couple of times a  year), and the other is a Sears AC
buzz box someone gave me.  The last time I had to stick weld was when I ran
out of wire during a tractor repair job.  After that I got a little spool
of flux core to keep on the shelf in case I run the big spool out
again.  (One of these days I need to get a regulator and other stuff and
actually do some real MIG welding; all I ever use is flux core wire because
it's so handy and works fine for what I need.)

I'll eventually sell the Hobart when I get a diesel generator, and I'll
probably give the Sears buzz box away, too but then I'll get a Lincoln
AC/DC buzz box in case I need to hard face or use nickel rod or something
like that.

Dave C