Re: Alt. Kit

To: "triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Alt. Kit
From: Hoyt <hoyt@cavtel.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 19:52:29 -0500
On Tuesday 27 December 2005 16:47, fred thomas wrote:
> I bought the Revington kit some years back, only problem, the conversion is
> Lucas, sorry I did not go ahead and buy US for later and easier
> replacement, after all whom stocks a Lucas alternator, "yes" pricey is a
> good word to use.  "FT"

I believe this is a classic illustration of "Out of the frying pan and into
the fire."

Roger William's "How To Improve Triumph TR2-4A" mentions the Revington
alternator as well as one from Cambridge Motorsport
( http://shop.cambridgemotorsport.com/ ), the latter selling usable
alternators at GBP300 (no "conversion kit" that I could find) . The book also
illustrates a heat shield being used, probably not a bad idea.

VTR had some technical info about a swap and members should find that
available.

I recall seeing someone use a Toyota alternator because of its smaller size.
It seems that the best candidates for use are single-wire alternators
(because of their built-in regulation) and the only difficulty appears to be
modifying the Lucas generator pulley to fit the alternator shaft (if you want
to keep the wide belt; otherwise you need new pulleys all around) and
modifying the mounting bracket. A machine shop should be able to easily
handle the modification if necessary.

I notice that a new Proform 60 or 80 amp alternator is being sold by Summit
Racing for US$75; a smaller used alternator from the boneyard should be much
less.

--
Hoyt

===     http://www.vtr.org