RE: TR2 TS561L Images Available

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR2 TS561L Images Available
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 08:35:41 -0800
> The wood in the TR-3A's doors was small blocks behind the mounting
> brackets for the side curtains.

My TR3A doors also have a longer piece of wood that runs the length of the upper
edge of the door.  While not absolutely essential, it does add significant
stiffness to the door.

> one of the classic
> problems with the doors was that water would collect in the lower rear
> corner and rust it out,

The later doors eliminated that corner, probably for that reason.  That's the
easiest way to recognize the all-metal doors, the lower rear corner is rounded
rather than square.  The door panel changed too ... if you use a later panel on
an early door, there will be metal left exposed where the panel curves but the
door doesn't.

> People who purchased their cars when
> they were 25-30 years old might think that the doors were original, but
> Lord only knows.

That's true enough.  But somehow I doubt it's coincidence that the half dozen or
so TR3As that have passed through my hands have all had the same doors.

I've never looked ... did the hinge mounting points change when the doors &
hinges changed at 60k ?  The hinges are very different, the early ones were
solid brass while the later ones were bent sheet metal.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org