RE: More door questions: window seals on top of door

To: <Dave1massey@cs.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: More door questions: window seals on top of door
From: "Steinman, Bill" <wsteinman@pogolaw.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 16:05:58 -0500
Thanks again Dave!

********************

William B.F. Steinman
Powell Goldstein LLP
901 New York Avenue, N.W.
Washington, D.C.  20001
(202) 624-7292 (tel)
(202) 624-7222 (fax)
(301) 651-6083 (mobile)
wsteinman@pogolaw.com

PRIVILEGED & CONFIDENTIAL

        -----Original Message-----
        From: Dave1massey@cs.com [mailto:Dave1massey@cs.com]
        Sent: Friday, December 16, 2005 1:23 PM
        To: Steinman, Bill; triumphs@autox.team.net

        In a message dated 12/16/2005 9:25:04 AM Central Standard Time,
wsteinman@pogolaw.com writes:

                Howdy all!  Thanks so much for everyone who has given me
advice on
                replacing the window channels on my 250.  Now for a
related question.
                While I've got it all apart, I might as well replace the
inside and
                outside seals on the top of the door, which are looking
tired.  However,
                I get the impression that this is a pain given the type
of clips (which
                I haven't looked at yet).  Any advice would be greatly
appreciated on
                how to go about changing them.

        The clips are tricky but not too bad.  You will need a tool that
you can easily make yourself.  It is a piece of flat steel with a 90 deg
bend on the end.  This will be used to push the clips into place over
the door lip and seal spine.  Some have used discarded blanking strips
from a PC.  More on that later.

        You can use a screwdriver to push the clips off and remove the
old seal.  Then position the new seal and note the recesses for the
clips.  Here is the tricky part.  Take your tool and pass it down into
the gap between the glass and the seal with the bent part oriented away
from the glass.  I forget where I positioned the glass but raise the
glass up and down until it is in a position compromising your ability to
reach the clip positions from underneath and manipulate the tool.
(Obviously the inside seal will be much easier so try that one first.)
Locate the clip in position on the door lip and seal spine with one hand
and using the tool in the other hand pull up to set the clip.  Use your
third hand to ensure the seal doesn't creep up away from the desired
position.

        And as they say in the Peugeot factory:" C'est simple!"

        Cheers and good luck.

        Dave

NOTICE: This communication may contain privileged or other confidential
information. If you are not the intended recipient, or believe that you have
received this communication in error, please do not print, copy, retransmit,
disseminate, or otherwise use the information. Also, please indicate to the
sender that you have received this communication in error, and delete the copy
you received.

IRS CIRCULAR 230 Disclosure:  Under U.S. Treasury regulations, we are required
to inform you that any tax advice contained in this e-mail or any attachment
hereto is not intended to be used, and cannot be used, to avoid penalties
imposed under the Internal Revenue Code.

Thank you.

===     http://www.vtr.org