Re: Soldering okay?

To: Triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Soldering okay?
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@razzolink.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 06:53:46 -0700
I have not been paying attention to this tread (When I'm busy I often
delete large numbers of mail list traffic without reading) and sorta
opened this by accident this morning.
Are you converting a TR 3 or 4 from generator to alternator using an
alternator with built in voltage regulator?  And do you have a kit that
is telling you to eliminate your voltage regulator and connect a bunch
of wires together?

If yes there is another way. You can strip all the guts from inside the
regulator except for the connecting pins. On the underside wire E & F
together, then wire A1, A & D together.  Replace modified regulator to
its stock location.

At the alternator location the big yellow generator wire gets connected
to generator out.  The alternator sense wire gets connected to the
alternator out.  The yellow/green wire (field) gets connected to the
alternator wire that normally goes to the idiot lamp.

At the reworked voltage regulator end:

- The black ground wire is no longer connected to the regulator and can
be taped back into the harness.

- The small yellow wire (goes to the  warning lamp) goes to F and the
yellow/green (field wire from gen) goes to E (this connects 12V through
warning lamp to the alternator).

- Large yellow wire (output from gen/alt) goes to D (same as soldering
all the wires that go to A1, A & the big yellow wire together)

- All the other wires stay in their stock A1 & A connections.

This gives you a solution that looks factory stock except that there is
an alternator in place of a generator.  You replace 1 or 2 crimp
connectors and tape a ground wire.  No messy harness cutting, soldering
and no need to replace the old voltage regulator with a non stock
appearing barrier strip.  And if you ever decide to hit the concourse
circuit, switching back to a generator is little more than replacing th
voltage regulator and alternator + brackets with original parts.

TeriAnn

If you want a really fun project try merging the bulkhead forward wire
harness from a 1960 Land Rover to a 1993 Mustang EFI wire harness.