Re: Windshield Installation Question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Windshield Installation Question
From: Mike Kitchener <mikek@9online.fr>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 17:00:00 +0200
Terry wrote:

> As several others on the list have reported, installing the glass into
> the windshield rubber seal and frame is very meticulous task.
> I'm finding two problems:  one, it is of course a tight squeeze.
> Second, though, is that the sharp edges of the windshield cut
> completely through the rubber seal despite liberal applications of
> liquid dishwashing soap.

Hi Terry,
I did it like this , but it's not easy .
 We (  three persons ! ) started by putting liquid soap all
over the joint ( no additional sealant ) then fitted it around the
glass up one side across the top and down the other side , stretching
it all the time and leaving about 1" protuding down from the first
side and all the rest on the other side.Now if the joint is stretched
enough , the top part of the frame can be fitted and the joint will
retract into place . Now comes the difficult bit because the bottom
of the glass is concave . Fit the corner brackets to the lower frame
then gradually ease it onto the glass , starting at one end and
stretching the joint all the time until you get to the other end ,
trim off the joint and screw the frame together .

Note that the frame channels should be clean and smooth,
the Tenax pegs should not protude into the channel and when
refitting the stanchions to the screen the shortest screws go to the
top and the longest to the bottom .

Good luck ,

Mike.
http://mikek.9online.fr/index.htm