Re: TR6 front suspension on TR3

To: tr3driver@comcast.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 front suspension on TR3
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 16:59:12 EDT
In a message dated 9/21/2005 2:10:05 PM Central Standard Time,
tr3driver@comcast.net writes:
> >There's another difference here to. The early vertical links are
> >the same on both sides, the 4a-6 links are left and eight side.
>
> I could be wrong, but I think the only difference is which side the zerk
> exits on.  I don't believe the geometry of the link changed.  AFAIK late TR4
> had the same geometry as the 4A, but zerks in the trunnions and hence
> identical vertical links.
>
> Does anyone know for sure ?

Yep.  The trunion threads for right and left are different.  One is right
hand thread and the other is left.  And the caster angle is built into the
trunion (or the vert link).  My TR6 came to me with two right hand trunions and
vertical links.  The improper caster made for some really goofy handling.

The above is true for TR6.  Probably the same for TR4A but I don't know.

Dave