RE: Engine Support during Transmission Removal

To: "Jeffrey J. Barteet" <barteet@mrl.ucsb.edu>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Engine Support during Transmission Removal
From: "Jim Bauder" <jimbpps@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 16:44:00 -0700
Jeffrey

I am not sure if my method will work exactly the same on your TR4 as it has
worked many, many times on my TR3s. But this is what I have done in the
past. After removing all of the interior so that I can get to the
transmission, I remove all of the securing bolts on the rear transmission
mount, the speedo cable, clutch slave and the drive line. Then with my floor
jack and a suitable piece of lumber under the oil pan, I slowly raise the
engine and transmission. I stop lifting when the top row of studs/bolts that
hold the transmission and engine together, are just above the edge of the
fire wall by maybe a 1/4 inch or less. Then I place a piece(s) of suitable
wood 'dunnage' between the cylinder head and the firewall so that the wood
rests on the throttle shaft that runs behind the engine. Be careful here, as
you can bend the throttle shaft in the next step!  I fill the available
space so that when I release the jack and the engine settles back down, the
cylinder head will rest against the wood such that it is supported by the
fire wall. At this point you should be able to easily remove the studs/bolts
that hold the transmission and engine together and remove it fairly easily
by yourself if needed, although a second set of hands comes in handy.

In the TR3s I used a 2 X 4 and a piece of 1/4 inch thick plywood. You may
have to get creative in the TR4 to arrive at the correct thickness and
length of the dunnage!

I have left the wood dunnage supporting the engine in the TR3 for several
weeks waiting for the transmission to be rebuilt, with no problems.

As always, YMMV and good luck!!

Jim Bauder
'68 TR250, CD47L (and a bunch of TR3s before this one!)
TR web site: http://www.triumphowners.com/647
Scottsdale, AZ