RE: Coolant

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Coolant
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 12:11:23 -0700
> This is a shot from the hip, but I'll bet it is a premix with the water
> already added.  They are starting to sell 50/50 premix here in
> the states.  At
> about the same price as straight ethylene glycol.  Go figure.

I've seen premix in stores off and on for 35 years, so it's nothing new.
Generally it's slightly cheaper than post-mix, but not by much.  I would
suppose that means much of the cost is tied up with packaging, shipping,
storage and so on.

My objection to premix is that, unless you need the freeze protection, 30/70
is a better coolant than 50/50.  And although 30/70 will start to freeze at
around 0F, it actually provides protection against damage from freezing to a
much lower temperature, because it forms slush rather than hard ice.

Randall