RE: high mileage TR3s

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: high mileage TR3s
From: "B Rolfes" <brolfes@gvtc.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 13:05:37 -0500
> A friend has a 3A that recently cracked a crank at somewhere over
> 400,000 miles. Drove it home too, over 100 miles at 2000 rpm in OD.  It
> will be rebuilt.

Hey Don and Randall,

Now I didn't drive 100 miles with it, but I did break the crank in my TR3a and
drive home with it.  The old crankshaft gave up the ghost while "rac'in" a
Burbank city bus.  It banged and clattered terribly, but would still start and
run, so I drove it home.  Upon teardown, found the break in the usual place,
between the #4 rod journal and the rear main bearing journal.

Sometimes the old TR's run better sick than the newer cars on the road beside
us.

Bob