TR3 OD slow in engaging

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3 OD slow in engaging
From: "Augustine, Scott (LNG-CSP)" <Scott.Augustine@LexisNexis.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 07:55:16 -0600
Listerati,

        When I first got my TR back on the road the OD I added was working
great (after installing a new solenoid).  It immediately engaged in all
three gears with the flip of the switch.  It was quite fun zipping down the
back roads where I now live running through my '7 speed' transmission.  As I
went through my 500 mile break-in period of the engine the overdrive
engagement got slower and slower.  Now it will engage only after at least 15
seconds and only the first few times I try to use it.
        I did not rebuild the trans and OD, as they were sold to me as in
good condition and visual examination backed that up.  I was running
Valvoline 50w racing oil in it at the recommendation of the shop that sold
it to me.  At the end of the 500 mile run in, because of this problem I
switched to 30w non-detergent.  I have verified that the trans oil level is
full and have checked the big screen under the big plug and it is clean.  I
there another filter screen that could be plugged?  Any other
recommendations?
        Please reply to me directly as I am on the digest and am currently
about a month behind in reading that too.
        It amazes me that, after only having OD for a few hundred miles, how
much I miss it on the car!

Thanks,
Scott

Scott Augustine