TR3 sill geometry 101

To: "triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR3 sill geometry 101
From: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 22:22:33 -0400
Is the geometry of a TR3 true and consistent?

On my car, the distance from left front tire to right rear tire is the same
as the distance from right front to left rear tire.  I also know my car has
never been wrecked and no part of it is bent.  However, I still need to know
if several angles or measurements on it can be relyed upon?

The reason is that I am getting ready to install floorpans and sills.
Perhaps normally one would not be as concerned with angles if replacement of
these parts get done 'on the ground'.

However, my rotisserie (which has so far been very helpful) has caused me to
seperate the tub from the chassis.  I now have my entire tub sitting atop a
strong old bunkbed on my back patio.  I have removed the sill and floorpan
from the driver's side of the car (the passenger's side of the car remains
untouched except for one of the passenger's inner sill's outrigger mounting
which has rusted away!  The frame's outrigger is fine, it's just that one of
the sill's two 'mountings' was completely corroded and was discarded.
LEAVING ME WITH ONLY ONE (HOPEFULLY ACCURATE)  OUTRIGGER ATTACHMENT (with
4-holes) ON THE SOON TO BE REPLACED PASSENGER'S SIDE INNER SILL.
It is this sill's one outrigger mounting attachment on the untouched, albeit
rusty, side of the vehicle which will need to serve as a basis for me to
establish the exact location for the new sill on the driver's side of the
car.
    This is a fairly simple task if one can assume the TR3 is square and
consistant with regard to several angles/measurements.  I'll begin by
measuring the distance from the closest tire to the one untouched mounting.
I'll then measure the opposite side of the car for the corresponding
location (taking into account the distance from the centerline of the
vehicle).  WAA-LAA!  That should be the exact location for that side's sill,
right?  Please tell me yes.
Thanks,
Paul Dorsey, 60 TR3A
(both new sills, floorpans, etc. purchased NOS from the same vendor at the
same time, and are identical to the original sills' and floorpans'.)  And
were part of the package deal which came with my abondoned project.