Multi-meter problem..

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Multi-meter problem..
From: Michael Godley <mgodley@tiac.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 20:52:56 -0400 (GMT-04:00)
Folks,

I purchased a digital multimeter....the Actron"Auto Troubleshooter" (model
CP767) and it is not happy under the hood of my car (65TR4A).

The display goes haywire under the hood and gets progressivley worse when I get
anywhere near the high voltage ignition components (car running of course),
rendering the device useless to test RPM, charging system, etc.

The unit checks OK with car off, and I don't get the same problem under the
hood of my Jeep.

So it appears I am getting some kind of interference (RF?) that is significant
enough to effect the unit.

Wires, Plugs, Cap, and Rotor new within 2 seasons.  Car running well, no
misses, backfire, etc,...idle is smooth.  FWIW, the car has an old Alison
opto-electric ignition that I installed 20 years ago, along with a Lucas sport
coil

Has anyone had this problem? Is this typical of TR's?  Trying to evaluate
wether it's best just to try a different meter....or if this is symptomatic of
a problem lurking somewhere in the ignition...bad wire, coil, ballast mis-match
between coil and Alison ignition, etc.

Your thoughts how to proceed greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike Godley
65 TR4A