Heat Shields for Triumphs-Please read if you are curious.

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Heat Shields for Triumphs-Please read if you are curious.
From: N197TR4@cs.com
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 23:08:54 EDT
Triumph List:

Randall and others make good points about heat shielding on Triumphs. From
1969, I struggled with my TR4A year after year, on the street and sometimes
during autocrosses. it never occured to at the time that there was a solution.
Now
30 years later.....consider the following short list.

1The Intake Manifold sets on top of the Exhaust manifold...carbs arent very
far away, are they?

2. Some MGs came with Heat Shields from the factory. I wonder why.

3. Triumph race cars typically have heatshields....sometimes, rather complex
airboxes. In certain conditions, street cars experience higher underhood
temperatures. Downtown Phoenix at 100 degree ambient at quiting time....

4. Forget percolation for a moment...The experts (I make no claims here)
strongly agree that air temperatures going into the carbs is more important for
HP
development than Velocity Stacks.    I found that comment very interesting.
Just hadnt thought about in those terms.

5. If the electric fan you installed runs intermittently, Jerry VV believes
this allows even more heat soaking at the carburetors. I hadnt thought of that,
either.

6. Heat Shields look quite nice and dress up the underhood.  I like stuff
like this.

7. They are very fiddly to make. I have spent hours on mine and so has Uncle
Jack. They would be very very expensive to job them out, one at a time. I work
cheap.

But they dont have to be expensive if you know somebody that can produce them
in quantities with high tech equipment. I was thinking about making some for
"racers" and one thing led to another....what about the street guys? Gollleee!

My friend and fellow vintage racer, Uncle Jack designed a rather straight
forward heat shield that will generically fit TR3As/TR4s/ & TR4As. I am not
sure
he knew that at the time, but I have tried it.  So here is the deal.....

I decided to proceed with a production run post haste. It will occur sometime
in September with production equipment. It will have some dimensional changes
from Jack's and perhaps a material change to Stainless Steel. We hope to go
for some volume and a low price point.   If you wish to reserve a production
slot, with no obligation, please send me your Name, Model Number, and I'll
record your email address and give you progress reports.

BTW, I already have had a small flood of inquiries and people are making
reservations for one, without even knowing the price. My thanks to their
interest
and vote of confidence.

Joe (A) (retired?)