Re: TR4A Front Bearings

To: "Guy D. Huggins" <guy@genfiniti.com>
Subject: Re: TR4A Front Bearings
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 09:39:20 -0400
Guy D. Huggins wrote:
> I have a question concerning the front wheel bearings on a TR4A
>
> When "packing" the bearings with grease, do I also need to fill the
> cavity within the hub with grease?  If so, how much roughly?  Will Moly
> B grease be just fine or do I need some special type of grease?
>
> Thank you all for your help
>

> Peace be with you!
>
> Guy D. Huggins
>
> 1965 Triumph TR4A
> CTC 63569LO
> http://www.genfiniti.com/triumph/

This has come up on the list before. I will pass along my understanding of what
was said.

There is speculation that in years past the wheel bearing grease became
liquefied under driving
conditions and filling the hub cavity with grease served as a kind of reservoir
to keep the wheel
bearings greased. I guess what this meant was that after the wheel bearings
were hot, the grease
would puddle and flow around the bearings when the car was not moving.

Modern wheel bearing grease does not liquefy under normal driving conditions,
so there is no point
to packing the hub full of grease. I got the impression that most folks grease
the interior of the
hub liberally so as to prevent rust scale or dust from floating around and
getting in the wheel
bearings but that is all that is required.

Don Malling