Questions and Freebies

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Questions and Freebies
From: shovel@mail.megapathdsl.net
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 14:30:37 -0700
Hello fellow listers,

First the questions.

I'm just finishing the restoration and rebuild of my '71 GT6. I've
got the front and back engine plates beautifully clean and flat and
would like to keep them that way. I'm considering painting them with
a black brake caliper paint. I chose the caliper paint because it
dries very thin flat and tough. Is it safe to paint both sides of the
plates completely, or do I need to mask off the sealing surfaces? I
am convinced that THIS engine will have no leaks! <G>

Very close by is the rear seal. The Bentley manual mentions a
specific centering tool for properly installing this seal on the
crank. Obviously I don't own such a Churchill tool and I suspect that
most people who have rebuilt these engines didn't either. What is the
wisdom of the list on the best way to ensure this seal actually seals?

Now the Freebies.

After many adventures in an attempt to create a comfortable stock
seat (I'm aging faster than my car) I have given in and purchased a
pair of Miata seats. Big improvement.
I now feel I must make restitution for the obvious slander of our
beloved marque, so I am sending the two pairs of seats I have back
into the community.

Offer:
Free to whomever wishes to pick up in San Francisco. Any or all. I
will not ship.

Descriptions:
1. One pair black vinyl proper pattern 1971 high-back stock bucket
seats. Virtually new appearing vinyl with a small repair(?) on
passenger side rear headrest. All hardware is attached and working
well. Very nice seats almost appear as new except... the DPO seems to
have attempted to substitute 1/4" squares of foam stuffed into the
backs to replace the original foam pieces, most of which is missing.
Kind of like a beanbag chair with a metal rod poking you from weird
angles at all times. Definitely not safe for driving but if you were
up to replacing the back foams a very nice pair of seats.

2. One pair black vinyl proper pattern 1971 high-back stock bucket
seats. Typical beat up original seats. A few rips, packrats may have
chewed a little in storage, broken down foam, semi intact bottoms,
kind of working hardware, all hardware intact except drivers side
slide adjustment. OK I've got to admit I actually drove my car for a
few years with these and I wasn't damaged by the experience so I
guess you could say these are usable in a pinch. Plan on a new foam
and recover kit.

I'll be having more goodies to offer the list as I finish THE
PROJECT. Talk about shipwrights! What was I thinking when I said
"Well I'll just pull out the carpets and clean up a little before I
check those thrust washers."
Three years and counting.

Barry (Signal Red and primer 71 GT6 in even fewer pieces)