Re: GT-6 Speedometer Questions

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: GT-6 Speedometer Questions
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 08:41:45 -0400
On 11 Aug 2005 at 8:01, Dave1massey@cs.com wrote:

> The addition of the overdrive did not necessitate any change in
> speedometers.

True enough, but as I understand the question, it is about the
difference in diff.  According to the literature of the period ('67-
'73), the US-spec GT6 had a different diff depending on whether it
did or didn't have OD.  Hence it would need the correct speedometer
drive (or something).

So the question is what you worry about if you swap gearbox from non-
OD to OD.  If the gearbox itself had a drive gear (or whatever) which
compensated for the different diff, swapping just the gearbox would
mean you now have the wrong one.  If the compensation was not a built-
in feature of the gearbox butr rather in the angle drive on the
cable, then you wouldn't have a problem.  All this assumes, of
course, that you don't swap the diff too!

Sorry, I don't know what they had.  I've never owned an OD GT6, never
worked on them enough to know.

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller@rcn.com