possible gearshift disaster?

To: "triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: possible gearshift disaster?
From: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 21:29:53 -0400
Tonight I took the cover off my non-od gearbox. With this cover off, I
discovered that if I tried lifting the gearshift straightup I could cause
it's bottom little knob to come-up and out the three-rod shifting apparatus.
I hope I'm not done for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    If this were to happen while driving, the car would be useless!!!!!!! It
went back in-place so I'm trying not to worry that I've done any harm.  I
think one normally only lifts up the gearshift to go into reverse, right?
Thanks,
Paul Dorsey
60 TR3A