Re: TR4A voltage regulator problem and setting

To: <Dave1massey@cs.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR4A voltage regulator problem and setting
From: "Anthony Rhodes" <spamiam@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 17:37:33 -0400
I am coming to think that you might be right.  I am coming to think that
wither the battery got very discharged somehow, or it has a shorted cell.  I
would be surprised about a shorted cell because it is a year old, NEVER run
flat, and it a good brand (I think): Interstate.  More likely that when I
parked it last night I left something on for a few hours which drained the
battery and makes the generator feed it some heavy juice.

I just hope the regulator is cutting out at the right time on that heavy load.
It looks on the car's ammeter (questionable accuracy) to be over the maximum
22 amps.

I got out the book and read about the regulator settings.  You set the voltage
that it regulates, not the amperage.  It is set with NO LOAD by blocking the
cut-out contacts so that it will not supply power to the rest of the system
(and this also deactivates the current limiting functions).  Then you set it
to around 15.8-16.4 volts (in this hot climate).  I set it to the low end of
the range.

When the cut-out is unblocked, the ammeter reads about 30 amps charge.

I put the battery back on the charger.  We will see what happens.  Otherwise I
have to wrench my back to take it out and get it checked.

-Tony