Have I become my own worst enemy?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <nass@yahoogroups.com>, <SPIT6CGT6@egroups.com>
Subject: Have I become my own worst enemy?
From: "David Templeton" <davidt@opentext.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 14:57:22 -0400
Afternoon all,

A little while I posted that I took apart  most of the GT6 gearbox to
replace the circlip and I took it to a local guy because the interior
was a little daunting for me.  Good thing I did, I finally got the
report, he was happy to work on such a simple gearbox again.  Nostalgia
came back for a minute then it was gone :-)  It was a real pain in the
"side" to get the thing apart but he confirmed that in fact the circlip
on the second & third cluster was broken, as speculated.   Now here
comes the rest of the bad news....

2 - Brass synchros

1 - Input shaft

1 - OD '73 main shaft

1- '73 main gear

1- lay-shaft

50 - Needle bearings

Eeekkk!  I didn't understand what happened until I read the article on
Quantum Mechanics
(http://www.quantumechanics.com/categories.php?op=newindex&catid=11),
and a little bit of speculation.

I had the entire gearbox "rebuilt" less than 5000kms ago, new synchos,
new needles bearings, new lay-shaft and so on.  This was done at a
professional shop that did older gearboxes etc.  Everything was good; I
filled the gearbox with 90 weight gear oil, the Quaker State brand
stuff, the one without the sulfur.  This went happily along until the
circlip broke this time.

- Did I destroy my gearbox this time by using the gear oil instead of
the 30 weight non detergent motor oil or the ATF fluif as described in
the article?

- Are the parts that are available, like the synchros and lay-shaft seen
as being made inferior today?  Does anyone have a similar experience?

- Does anyone have a '73 GT6 main shaft for an OD gearbox in good shape
for sale and maybe a layshaft?

Thanks

David Templeton

Southern Ontario, Canada