Re: TR3A tires

To: Mo and Dave MacKay <m.d.mackay@sympatico.ca>,
Subject: Re: TR3A tires
From: Steven Newell <steven@newellboys.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 15:44:44 -0700
Mo and Dave MacKay wrote:

>Last month I asked the advice of the list about tires for my TR3A. Two
>brands were mentioned repeatedly: Cooper Sportmaster GLT and
>Kumho Powerstar 758. The closest-to-original size modern tire would
>be 165R15.
>
>I have had no luck in sourcing these tires:
>- The Kumho ones apparently aren't distributed in Canada.
>- I called Cooper's 1-800 number because what my local dealer couldn't
>  source what Cooper was showing on their web site. It turns out that
>  Cooper has just discontinued making this size.
>
>I though that some listers might be interested in the news about Cooper.
>
>I have found 165R15 tires from Vredestein (expensive), Coker (expensive),
>and some no-name brands (RoadKing and Signet).

I stopped at Sears the other day and the fellow checked on Pirelli P3's,
said they're available in 165R15. $65, which is either expensive or not
depending on what you're used to paying for tires. How much were the
Vredesteins? His source could get the Coopers, but Sears guy couldn't
sell them to me because Sears doesn't have a code in their computer. My
local tire guy can still get them, but perhaps from stock if Cooper has
discontinued them.

Steven Newell
'62 TR4, '66 Volvo 122S -- both with 165R15s