Re: TR4A Fan Belt

To: mini@nashvilletn.org, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4A Fan Belt
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 11:49:54 EST
In a message dated 3/22/2005 10:17:14 AM Central Standard Time,
mini@nashvilletn.org writes:
> Is it just me or it there a problem getting the fan belt off a TR4?  I
> can't
> get the belt between the fan extension and the steering rack.  Think I can
> jack up the engine enough to make room without taking off the front engine
> mounts?  Maybe my problem solving skills are a little lacking today....??

You must be new.  This issue has been a recurring theme.  Fitting a fan belt
to a TR4 is one of the most frustrrating things you can do on these cars.  It
is frustrating because it should be so easy.

Indeed it is a tight squeeze between the steering rack and the fan extension.
 This is a result of the fact that the TR4 frame is a modification of the TR3
design with a retrofit of the rack and pinion steering.

You are correct in that jacking the engine (loosening an engine mount helps
or is necessary) will allow the belt to be fitted.

Count your blessings.  On the TR6 it is worse.  The rack and the cross brace
is so close to the fanbelt pulley that they must be moved to fit the belt.
Sometimes.  It varies from car to car.

Dave Massey
57 TR3, 71 TR6, 80 TR8