RE: TR3A Starters

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3A Starters
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 15:57:11 -0800
>      How come when I go to start my TR the stock starter doesn't
> fully engage
> the first time (starts to engage and then just seems to just
> spin), but will
> engage the second time and crank right over? Is the solenoid weak or
> something?

Depends on what you mean by "starts to engage".  If the engine turns a
revolution or more, then I'd say it fired once, thereby kicking the Bendix
out.  It's a common problem with a good running engine that's been run
recently ... basically all the fuel in the intake manifold evaporated while
it was parked but there's still enough good fuel/air in the cylinder that
was on compression when it stopped to fire once.  Then it takes more
cranking to work fuel/air from the carbs back into the cylinders.

This can be especially frustrating if you've got one cylinder that "wants to
run" but the others don't feel like it.  The one firing will kick out the
Bendix, but not keep the engine running.

If it just spins without turning the engine at all, then your Bendix is worn
or sticky.  Likewise a common problem.  Near as I can tell, the vibration of
the motor turning at high speed loosens it up and next time it engages.  My
experience is that the problem gets worse with time and it starts taking
several tries to get it to engage.

>      Also, are there specific caveats to buying those gear
> reductions starters
> that I see advertise on Ebay? I might wait until a TRF sales price or
> something. Are they all the same supplier?

Sorry, don't know.

Randall