Re: grose jet guts

To: triumph list <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: grose jet guts
From: Kurtis <tr4driver@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 09:05:27 -0600
> However, "Grose Jet" is a brand name for an "improved" float valve that uses a
> ball bearing instead of a brass stick to form the actual valve.  The theory is
> that the ball bearing will turn and so reduce wear; plus it's really hard so
>the
> seat will wear anyway.

Are there two different types of standard jet needles?  The reason I
ask is that I recently dissembled a pair of spare SU H6 carbs for
cleaning/rebuild, and I noticed that one of the float jets had a solid
steel "stick" (I don't have it in front of me right now, but I don't
recall it being brass).  The other had needle that did appear to be
brass, but the body had "vanes" and it had some sort of hard
plastic/rubberized tip on the point (where I assumed it seated with
the jet to close).  The other end of the needle has what looks like
some sort of round ball bearing... but this is incorporated in the
needle itself, and not at all configured like how I assume a Grose Jet
is configured.  The two needles seem interchangeable in either of the
jet housings.

Am I crazy, confused, or both?

--
Kurtis Jones