Zenith Stromberg choke linkage - TR4A

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Zenith Stromberg choke linkage - TR4A
From: "Francis Precht" <FPrecht@frostburg.edu>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 11:07:37 -0500
I'm trying to sort out the choke linkage on my '65 TR4A (CTC62027).  The
pervious owner had a bit of 'inventive genius' at work here, so I'm pretty
sure it ain't right!  I have several questions with which I would appreciate
help.  Please bear with my descriptions (pictures here would be much easier).

1) Does anyone know of a clear picture/illustration that shows the proper
linkage set up on the front carb ?  The best I can find is a drawing of the
linkage levers in the workshop manual, but it does NOT show how the cable
attaches.  If someone wanted to snap a digi pic, I would be forever in their
debt.

2) How does the choke cable attach ?  to the front lever or the cam lever ?

Currently, the choke cable is routed under the rear carb, then vertically
between the two carbs, and finally over/above the front carb, then attaches to
a narrow bracket held in place under the front in-board dashpot top cover.
>From there, the cable attaches directly to the in-board hole on the cam-lever
of the choke linkage. (the cam is supposed to rotate the throttle shaft under
'full' choke).  The spring between the cam-lever and 'other' lever (the one
which is lower and out-board) is also missing.

2) Are the lower lever and the cam lever supposed to move independently ?
Without the spring (missing) when one is rotated they both move (to me it
seems they are both excessively tightened under the retaining nut on the end
of the starter bar).  I thought one moved the started bar and the other moved
the jet ?

3) Is there supposed to be a bracket under the front carb to which the choke
cable attaches ?

I am pretty sure that I also have a vacuum leak - I think it is around the
throttle shaft from wear.  But, the vacuum line entry into the front lower
portion of the front carb is also suspect.

4) How tight should the connection between the vac line & front carb body be ?
I can easily pull the line out with a little pressure from my pinky finger
(real scientific measure of force used here!).  I can test for a leak at the
throttle shaft with a little carb cleaner, but will that same trick work clear
down by the vac line inlet ???

I would like to rebuild the carbs during the now frigid temps of winter, but
wanted to sort out some details before I tore the whole thing apart.

Also, TRF gave me a price of $109.95 to rebush the 2 carb bodies and supply
new throttle shaftes, and a turn-around of 'should be less than 4 weeks.'
Somebody on the list asked about this the other day.

Thanks for any/all help provided.
Bud P. (anticipating 6-10" of frozen white stuff in the next 24 hours)
1965 TR4A (CTC 62027)