Subject: TR4A, ect. Differential Tips

To: triumphs-digest@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Subject: TR4A, ect. Differential Tips
From: Catpusher@aol.com
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 18:30:49 EST
Cc: guy@genfiniti.com
In addition to Greg Hutmacher's  fine comments, I would add:

Check the back lash of the ring and pinion; a pointer and feeler gauges can
visually help if you do not have a dial gauge.  Wipe the oil off first, or
rinse/flush it off with WD 40.

Check the free play of the smaller gears inside ring gear casing. Excess free
play here
can cause the main ring and pinion to fail over time.  The cupped thrust
washers on the smallest gears come in selective thicknesses   0.057" to 0.077"

Hardy Prentice

Builder of many Triumph rear axles, etc.