RE: electric fan conversion on a TR3A

To: "Mo and Dave MacKay" <m.d.mackay@sympatico.ca>, "TR List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: electric fan conversion on a TR3A
From: "Jim Bauder" <jimbpps@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 11:07:31 -0700
Dave,

I have a 12 inch electric fan mounted as a pusher on my '58 TR3 and
controlled by a manual switch. I have rebuilt the stock generator,
(basically new brushes!) and replaced the regulator. I have found that the
stock generator keeps up with the fan current draw very easily, except when
the head lights are on. I do have the after-market standard 7 1/3 inch US
halogen headlamps and they draw more current than the original head lights.
However in my case, I would have to drive half the night with the fan on to
discharge the battery enough to be a problem! For an hour or so of night
driving it is no problem! Even here in Arizona it is usually cooler at
night, so I only really have to worry about stop and go traffic jams.

Good luck and of course YMMV!!

Jim Bauder
'58 TR3
(New!) '68 TR250