RE: TR 3a vs 4A clutch stuff

To: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR 3a vs 4A clutch stuff
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 07:42:42 -0500
>snip................... I feel the earlier clutch is better made and more
>bulletproof.................snip

Please be aware that although both clutches perform well when used for
normal driving, NO ONE in racing uses the finger-type clutche. EVERYONE
uses the diaphragm type clutch, because the finger type tend to explode at
high rpm. The last one I witnessed was at IRP several years ago. A guy with
a white TR3 just didn't have the message -- but he got it in a violent way,
and when he was helped out of his car, his legs and ankles were not pretty.
Pieces of exploding clutches go through the aluminum bell housing and the
body tin like they aren't even there. Everyone racing one of these cars
uses a diaphragm style clutch, and some racing venues other than sports car
racing even outlaw finger type clutches. So if you are ever going to
autocross your car and plan to use rpm of 5000 or 6000, using the finger
type clutch is a gamble.

Again, both perform okay in street cars.

uncle jack

Check out the new British Cars Forum: