RE: Soldering bullet connectors

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Soldering bullet connectors
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 23:41:10 -0700
> Does anyone have any sure-fire ways to solder new bullet connectors
> (solder-only type)?  I got a bunch from British Wiring, but the method I
> am using (tin the wire, then heat the bullet and apply solder) doesn't
> seem to work that great - you end up with very little solder filling the
> body of the bullet.  I can't pull the wire out of the bullet, but I am
> worried that it is not a long-term solution.  Any help is appreciated.

Jeff, I don't know what bullet connectors British Wiring is selling.  But
the good ones have a short section at the tip that just fits the diameter of
the wire (and hence are specific to just one or two sizes of wire).  I
believe they should be soldered only in the tip, and not in the entire body
of the connector.  I insert the insulation inside the body of the connector,
as a form of strain relief. Although to be honest, it usually melts until it
doesn't do any good anyway.

For the type that lack the neck at the tip, I leave a blob of solder on the
outside and still don't fill the body with solder.

Randall

Check out the new British Cars Forum: