RE: Distributor Wobble

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Distributor Wobble
From: "Peter Ryner" <pryner@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 15:58:02 -0400
One point of caution here about the material to use for the bushing.  Many
years ago I had the same problem with my Spitfire.  Bushings weren't
available so I went to a machine shop to have one made.  It worked
wonderfully - for about 400 miles (close to halfway between Texas and
Indiana) when it disintegrated .  I found a junkyard and was able to get a
replacement distributor and was on my way.  The machine shop used what they
thought was the same material - but it wasn't.  It is supposed to be oil
impregnated so it doesn't wear as there is no lubrication in the distro.  My
old manual even states to soak the bushing for 24 hours in oil to ensure it
is impregnated.  I'm not an expert in metallurgy - maybe someone else knows
the proper material to use.

Pete

Check out the new British Cars Forum: