RE: Stag OD Shifter Knob on a TR6?

Subject: RE: Stag OD Shifter Knob on a TR6?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 13:50:06 -0700
Cc: <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
> One of our local club members did just this with his TR3A. He
> says he feels
> it just makes more sense for the OD switch to be on the shifter.
> I believe he
> used a TR7 (?) shift knob.

I don't know about the TR7, but a late Spit OD knob, or a Stag OD knob,
would work I believe.

> If it worked on his TR3 I think you
> could make it
> work on a TR6. Looks nice and neat too.

The significant distinction is that the TR3 shift lever is hollow (with a
hole at the bottom for the wires to exit under the boot), while the stock
TR6 lever is not (and is too thin to drill).

I believe the TR3 shift lever could be made to fit, however it puts the knob
further forward than the TR6 lever, and I suspect either it or your hand
will hit something (like the knobs in the center console).

A Stag OD lever might work (Stags also had the OD switch in the shift knob),
but will move the knob up and back.  All the Stag parts are available,
although it may take some hunting.  Non-OD Stags had a different lever and
knob.

Probably the best solution is to graft two shift levers together.  That way
you can get just the right knob position, but also get the hollow shaft (and
funky threads for the knob).

Oh yeah, if you buy an OD knob, be sure you get the two special nuts in
addition to the knob itself (and the switch).

Randall

Check out the new British Cars Forum: