RE: TR-4 Rear Main Seal

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR-4 Rear Main Seal
From: "Jeff Tedder" <jtedder68@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 15:52:16 -0700
The instructions for my rear main seal that was obtained from BP
Northwest and installed about a year ago stated to grind the crank down
to 64mm +/- 0.1mm.  Unfortunately (for me), the instructions DID NOT say
to hook the spring to itself that came with the kit - only to put it
into the seal groove.  So guess what?  Now I get to change the seal
before I have even started the motor.

Anybody have an opinion if this will REQUIRE the rear main cap to be
removed?  Or is it possible to separate the two seal shells, hook the
spring, and put the shells back in without taking the pan off?  I have
one opinion that says yes, but my recollection was that there wasn't
enough room between the block and the flywheel flange to get the shells
out.  Anyone replaced this?

TIA

Jeff Tedder
'66 & '67 TR4A