Painting Chassis and other TR metal.

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Painting Chassis and other TR metal.
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 13:28:21 +1200
I spent about 18 years in the paint industry much of that selling industrial
coatings to sandblasters for the painting of steel structures such as Petrol
(gasolione) Storage tanks.
The most corrosion resistant system was:
Waterblast the steel
Sandblast to SA2.5 standard
75 microns of a Zinc silicate primer then a 125micron coat of an epoxy
The a final cosmetic coating of a 2 pack Uerathane.
If I ever got my Chassis repainted I would Have it waterblasted, sandblasted,
then zinced.
Then I would decide what to topcoat it with.
Zincing with a high zinc content Zinc silicate or Zinc epoxy is as good as
galvanising it.
I would be tempted to do the same for panels except that sandblasting thin
metal will stretch and otherwise distort.
There is no system that is more corrosion resistant.
I have specified this system for Mobil, BP, Shell etc and can tell you that
you get an extremely long lived system even directly by the sea.

My 2 cents worth on painting

Jim Vass
1962 TR4

Check out the new British Cars Forum: